Homeowners, Renters and Dwelling Insurance

Not only do you want to insure your dwelling, personal property and any Inland Marine articles you have, but also you will want a Liability Policy attached to your homeowners, farm owners or dwelling policy.  Coverage can be Basic, Broad or Special Perils depending on the type of policy you chose.  (Flood is not covered by these policies but a specific policy written through the National Flood Insurance Program would cover that risk.) A recreational vehicle is not automatically covered. You must check with your agent to see if it can be endorsed on or a separate stand-alone policy be written.

Basic Perils are:

  • Fire.
  • Lightning.
  • Windstorm or Hail.
  • Explosion.
  • Smoke.
  • Vandalism.
  • Aircraft or Vehicle Collision.
  • Riot or Civil Commotion

Broad Perils add the following:

  • Burglary/Break-in damage
  • Falling Objects (Tree’s)
  • Weight of Ice and Snow
  • Freezing of Plumbing
  • Accidental Water Damage
  • Artificially Generated Electricity

Special Perils:

“all perils are covered except for what is specifically excluded in the policy”.  

General Exclusions for Special coverages are:

  • Ordinance of Law
  • Earthquake
  • Flood
  • Power Failure
  • Neglect
  • War
  • Nuclear Hazard
  • Intentional Acts